I'm almost ready to start putting up the In A Good Way website (just waiting for some content and images), but I realized that the very first steps in getting your own website up and running were not covered – registering your domain, securing hosting, and changing nameservers.
So, I've put together three short videos on how I would handle this portion of the process. I use www.GoDaddy.com to register all of my domains, and I use www.HostGator.com for my hosting. In the video, I'll show you how to find a domain name, and once you have registered, what you need to do to have your hosting set up at Host Gator or GoDaddy. There are other domain name registrars and hosting companies (including GoDaddy.com's own hosting), but since I can't show every option, I'll show you what I use. Then, I show you how to change the Nameservers so the Internet can find your site.
Here are links to all three videos:
Here's what I think will be the flow of tutorials for building your website:
- Register your domain and set up hosting – done!
- Set up your WordPress installation
- Pick a theme and apply it
- The right plugins for your website
- Getting a Google account
- Settings, settings, and more settings
- Creating a graphical header
- Setting up an email subscription system
- Organizing your site – writing pages
- Writing posts and adding images
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Wrapping it all up
Watch your email for notices of when new tutorials are available. In addition, I'm going to be announcing a service to create your website for you at a very reasonable price. The announcement is coming soon!