Now that you've set up your WordPress site and chosen a theme, there are a few things you will need to do to make your website run more efficiently. And this starts with adding some features using plugins. Plugins are small chunks of computer code that enhance the functionality of your WordPress-based website. And don't worry… you don't need to be a computer programmer to understand how to do this.
Here is my list of plugins you absolutely need to have installed on your site:
- Akismet – handles spam comments so your blog doesn't get overwhelmed
- All-In-One SEO Pack – adds features to make sure your blog shows up in the search engines
- WP-DB-Backup – backs up your blog so if there is a problem, you can recover
Here's the video tutorial (or click the image on the right):
Next up… Settings, settings, and more settings:
- Register your domain and set up hosting – done!
- Set up your WordPress installation – done!
- Pick a theme and apply it – done!
- The right plugins for your website – done!
- Settings, settings, and more settings
- Organizing your site – writing pages
- Writing posts and adding images
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Wrapping it all up
You may have noticed I removed a few items from the list – Getting a Google account, Creating a graphical header, and Setting up an email subscription list. This is because these are much more advanced topics and I thought it would be difficult at this stage of the game.